Search This Blog

Monday, September 1, 2008

Tip for Improving Your Cliche Detector

I thought I should include this "Tip" for readers of The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor. It is from my weekly newsletter (which is always filled with tips on everything from craft to marketing), Sharing with Writers. To subscribe, send me an e-mail to HoJoNews@aol.com and put SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Tip:
It is always easier for others to find our clichés than for us to do it for ourselves. Taking a poetry class may help with identifying clichés. Some words you'd never expect are tip-offs that you may be writing in clichés (or at least generalizations) rather than in solid images. Words like "soul," and "memories," as an example.

Technorati Tags:
, , , , ,





-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson edits, consults and speaks on issues of publishing. Find her The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0978515870. Learn more about her other authors' aids at www.howtodoitfrugally.com. She blogs on all things publishing (not just editing!) at www.sharingwithwriters.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind, but I'm reposting this from the previous blog to make sure that you'll see it and can respond back. thanks.

--------------
Thanks for the list of resources. I was interested in some of your audios though. The Flesch Readability one in particular but the link does not work. Can you provide one that does so that I can order one? Thanks.

By the way, I like your blog so much that I just ordered your book today.

Lena

Anonymous said...

Hold your breath Lena. Seems like the Frugal Editor is TOO FRUGAL with her time to even answer your question!

Great Editing Is Great Marketing

Your First Marketing Offense: Write and Edit Great Query Letters