Search This Blog

"'The Frugal Editor: Do-It-Yourself Editing Secrets for Authors' is a complete course of instruction under one cover." ~ Jim Cox Editor-in-Chief Midwest Book Review


Monday, October 11, 2010

If the LA Times Can't Avoid Homonym Booboos, How Can We?

I'm trying to clear my schedule for some writing time. But I couldn't resist dropping by to rant a bit. Yesterday (I think it was yesterday--time goes by so fast these days!) the LA Times boobooed on the homonyms "descent" and "decent." In a report on languages no less!  It just forced me to come here to rant a tad on the need we all have for good editors. Even good editors need editors!

It also gave me a chance to remind you that we should be patient with one another when someone does something a little dippy! I mean, I know a couple d LA Times editors and they are good

It also gives me a chance to remind everyone that books like my Great Little Last-Minute Editing Tips for Writers booklet and June Casagrande's It was the best of sentences, It was the worst of sentences should be part of the constant brush-up reading we do. Just to keep us on our toes. Just to keep our thinking fresh!
-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson edits, consults and speaks on issues of publishing. Find her The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0978515870. Learn more about her other authors' aids at www.howtodoitfrugally.com, where writers will find lists and other helps on the Resources for Writers page. She blogs on all things publishing (not just editing!) at her Sharing with Writers blog. Find me tweeting writers' resources at www.twitter.com/frugalbookpromo. And please tweet this post to your followers. We all need a little help with editing. (-:

No comments: